- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg diced leg of pork
- 500 ml sweet cider
- 200 ml water
- 1/2 chicken stock cube
- 1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp juniper berries
- 2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 115 ml crème fraîche
- 25 g butter
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas 3.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish with a lid. Brown the pork well all over in batches. As each batch is ready, remove to a waiting plate.
3. When all the meat has been well-browned return it to the pan and pour over the cider, stirring well to incorporate all the residue on the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the water, stock cube, rosemary, juniper berries and apples. Bring the liquid to the boil then put the lid on the casserole and transfer it to the oven.
5. Cook for 1½ hours until the meat is tender, checking occasionally that it isn't drying out (top up with a little boiling water if necessary).
6. Stir in crème fraiche and butter, and serve with well-buttered baked potatoes.
Rate This Recipe