- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus marinating and freezing time
- Effort: medium
For the jelly
- 6 leaves gelatine
- 225 g granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- ½ cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 1 blade mace
- 1 lemon, grated rind and juice only
- 425 ml claret
- 275 ml port
- 2 tbsp brandy
For the tutti-frutti ice cream
- 225 g glacé fruit, finely diced
- 6 tbsp Grand Marnier, or other orange flavoured liqueur
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 570 ml double cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 175 g sugar
- crème chantilly, to serve (optional)
1. For the tutti-frutti ice cream: put the chopped glacé fruits into a bowl, pour over the Grand Marnier and leave to marinate for a couple of hours, or overnight.
2. Scrape the vanilla seeds into a heavy-based saucepan and add the vanilla pod and cream. Put over a medium heat and bring to scalding point. Remove from the heat and set aside to infuse for 15 minutes.
3. In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar and then, while continuing to whisk, add the hot cream. Return the mixture to the saucepan over a low heat and stir continuously until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
4. Immediately remove the pan from the heat, then pass the custard through a fine sieve into a bowl and allow to cool.
5. Churn the mixture in an ice cream machine and, when the ice cream starts to thicken, add the marinated fruits. Once theyre combined, quickly transfer the ice cream to a suitable container and put in the freezer.
6. For the jelly: put the gelatine leaves into a dish of cold water to soften.
7. Put the sugar, redcurrant jelly, cinnamon, cloves, mace, lemon rind, lemon juice and 425ml water into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the jelly and sugar have melted.
8. Combine the claret, port and brandy in another saucepan, slowly bring to simmering point and remove from the heat.
9. Remove the gelatine leaves from the water, squeezing out any excess water, and stir into the hot wine mixture until dissolved.
10. Combine both mixtures together and pass though a sieve into a jug and leave to cool. Once cool, pour the jelly mixture into 8 stemmed glasses or other serving dishes or moulds and place in the fridge to set for 6 hours: it should be wobbly, not firm.
11. Serve with the jellies with a scoop of tutti-frutti ice cream and top with chantilly cream, if using.
Rate This Recipe