- Serves: 10-12
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g plain flour
- 1 tsp grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225 g butter
- 225 g light soft brown sugar
- 450 g sultanas or raisins, or a mixture of both
- 75 g chopped mixed candied peel
- 2 eggs
- 300 ml bottle oyster stout or porter
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line the sides and base of a 20cm high-sided round cake tin (the sides should be about 7cm high) with baking paper.
2. Sieve the flour, nutmeg, mixed spice, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter, then stir in the sugar, sultanas or raisins and the candied peel.
3. Whisk the eggs in another bowl, add the porter or stout, then pour into the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and bake for about 2 hours. If it starts to brown too quickly on top, cover it with foil or baking paper after about 1 hour. The cake is cooked when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow it to sit in the tin for about 20 minutes before turning out and cooling on a wire rack.
Rate This Recipe