- Serves: Makes 12
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 3 egg yolks
- 115 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 230 ml cream
- 170 ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g rolled puff pastry
1. Lightly grease a 12-hole 80ml muffin tin.
2. Put the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a pan and whisk together. Gradually whisk in the cream and milk until smooth.
3. Place the pan over a medium heat and cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer the custard to a bowl, cover the surface with cling film to prevent a skin forming and leave to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 19C/gas 5.
5. Cut the pastry dough sheet in half, put one half on top of the other and set aside for 5 minutes. Roll up the pastry tightly from the short end and cut the pastry log into 12 x 1cm rounds. Lay each pastry round on a lightly floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll out until each is 10cm in diameter.
6. Press the pastry rounds into the muffin tin. Spoon the cooled custard into the pastry cases and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry and custard are golden. Leave the tarts in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Rate This Recipe