- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the pot au feu
- 4 chicken legs
- 175 ml white wine
- 2 cloves
- sprigs thyme
- 2 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 small celeriac
- 2 parsnips, peeled
- 2 small turnips, peeled
- handfuls button mushrooms
- 1 leek, quartered
- 4 small Savoy cabbage, roughly chopped
for the sauce supreme
- 4 egg yolks
- 125 ml crème fraîche
- black pepper
- pinches nutmeg
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1. With a sharp knife, separate the drumstick from the thigh.
2. Place the chicken legs in a large casserole dish and pour over the white wine. Sprinkle over the cloves and thyme and add enough water to cover the chicken legs.
3. Bring to the boil, and add the carrots, garlic and onion. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Cut the celeriac, parsnips and turnips into chunks and add to the pan.
5. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for a further 10 minutes.
6. Add the leeks and cabbage, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Continue simmering for a further 5 minutes.
7. Strain half the cooking liquid into a saucepan and bring back to a simmer. Keep warm
8. Combine the egg yolks and crème fraiche and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add to the cooking liquid and gently reheat, until it thickens. Check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
9. Divide the vegetables between four warmed dinner plates and top each with one chicken drumstick and a thigh. Pour over the sauce, scatter with parsley, and serve.
Rate This Recipe