- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1.5 kg chicken
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- 225 g rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 stick celery
- 2 tbsp thyme, leaves only
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- generous splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp anchovy essence
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 600 ml chicken or vegetable stock
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
2. Place a large casserole over a high heat on the hob, add the olive oil and when hot add the whole chicken to the casserole, turning occasionally until brown all over. Remove and set aside.
3. Add the bacon to the casserole and fry for a few minutes then add the onion, garlic, celery and thyme.
4. Pour in the chopped tomatoes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, anchovy essence and smoked paprika.
5. Stir all the ingredients together and then add the chicken stock.
6. Return the chicken to the casserole and bring to the boil. Put the lid on the casserole and cook in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Rate This Recipe