- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes - 3 hours
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 9-12 hrs marinating
- Effort: easy
- 1 orange, cut into 8 slices
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 slices
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 star anise
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 150 ml dry sherry
- 150 ml brandy
- 1 shin beef, around 675g
- 450 ml red wine
- dauphinoise potatoes, to serve
1. In a large bowl, mix together the orange, lemon, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns, star anise, Demerara sugar, Worcestershire sauce, sherry and brandy.
2. Add in the beef, coating well, cover and set aside to marinate in the refrigerator for 9-12 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
4. Transfer the beef and its marinade to a casserole dish. Add in the wine and season with salt.
5. Bring the beef mixture to a simmer, then cover with a lid.
6. Transfer to the oven and cook for 2 hours 30 minutes to 3 hours, removing the lid for the last hour of cooking.
7. Remove the cooked beef and keep warm. Simmer the liquor until reduced, using it as a jus.
8. Carve the beef and serve it with the jus and dauphinoise potatoes.
Rate This Recipe