- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 kg lamb shoulder
- handfuls mixed olives
- 6-8 majol dates, pitted
- 4-6 tinned anchovies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 300 g flour, for the sealing dough
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 1. Put the lamb into a casserole dish, fitting snugly.
2. Add the olives, dates and anchovy fillets.
3. Add the spices and tuck the herbs in and around the lamb. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
4. Mix the flour with enough cold water to make a dough. Roll the dough into a long sausage and fit it around the edge of the casserole dish. Press the lid on to the dough to create a seal.
5. Transfer to the oven and cook for 3 hours.
6. Remove the casserole from the oven and crack the dough, but wait for several minutes before removing the dough lid, as there will be plenty of steam in side.
7. Serve straight from the dish with new potatoes and spinach or steamed couscous.
Rate This Recipe