- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus soaking time
- Effort: easy
- 50 g dried porcini
- 2 x 500 g poussins
- 2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4-6 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion
- 4 small potatoes, halved
- 1 swede, cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into 2cm chunks
- 125 g fresh peas, podded
- 125 ml white wine
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 50 g butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs lemon thyme
- 12 free range pork chipolata sausages
- salt and black pepper
1. Soak the porcini mushrooms in boiling water, and set aside for 20 minutes.
2. Using a sharp knife, remove the backbone from both poussins and cut each one into 4 pieces. Dust with seasoned flour.
3. Heat the olive oil in a heavy casserole pan and fry the poussins until golden brown, over a moderate heat. Remove from the pan and leave on one side. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3.
4. Add the garlic, onion and potatoes to the same pan and fry until brown - about 10 minutes. Stir in the swede, carrot, peas and the pre-soaked and drained porcini mushrooms. Fry for a further 2 minutes.
5. Return the poussin pieces back into the pan and add the white wine, chicken stock, butter, bay leaves, lemon thyme and seasoning.
6. Cover with a lid and cook for 40 minutes in the centre of the oven, until the vegetables are tender.
7. While the casserole is in the oven, fry the chipolatas in a frying pan or skillet. Serve the casserole with chipolatas on the side.
Rate This Recipe