- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the pastry
- 450 g ready-cooked mashed potato
- 110 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 pinches sea salt
For the filling
- 2 large bramley apples
- 55 g vanilla sugar
1. For the pastry: put the mashed potatoes through a potato ricer or sieve into a bowl and sift in the flour. Add the salt and mix thoroughly. Bring together with your hands to make a ball.
2. Divide the dough in half and roll out one half into a 20cm circle, placing it on a lightly floured plate. On a floured surface, roll out the second ball to a round just a little larger than the first.
3. For the filling: peel, quarter, core and finely slice the apples into a bowl. Scatter over the sugar, turning the apple slices to coat them.
4. Pile the apple mixture on top of the dough round on the plate, leaving a border free around the edge. Using a pastry brush, dampen the edge with a little water. Put the second dough round on top and press the edges firmly together to seal.
5. Heat a shallow, heavy-bottomed or cast-iron pan over a moderate heat for a few minutes. Scatter a little flour over the surface. Carefully slide the potato cake into the pan and cook for 15-20 minutes until golden.
6. Slide the cake out of the pan and back onto the plate, then invert onto another lightly floured plate. Slide the cake back into the pan to cook the other side for 15-20 minutes.
7. Carefully transfer to a warmed serving plate and serve in wedges with thick cream, clotted if you can get it.
Rate This Recipe