- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 kg new potatoes
- 200 g smoked salmon, diced
- 1 bunches chives, finely chopped
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 2 ripe medium avocado, diced
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- 1 squeeze fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp eggs, beaten, if needed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 250 g crème fraîche
- 200 g wholegrain mustard
For the beetroot salad
- 150 ml white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1 pinches cayenne pepper
- 0.5 tsp ground coriander
- 6 small cooked beetroot
1. Boil the new potatoes until tender, when cooked, peel and dice them.
2. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/gas 5.
3. Mix together the diced potato, smoked salmon, chives, salt and freshly ground pepper, avocado, lemon and lime juice.
4. Add a little beaten egg to help combine the mixture, if necessary. Press the mixture into four 7cm moulds.
5. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Turn out the potato cakes from their moulds into the pan and fry until golden on each side, around 10 minutes in total.
6. Transfer the potato cakes to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, prepare the beetroot. Heat together the white wine vinegar, sugar, fennel, cayenne and coriander in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook briskly for 5 minutes until a light syrup forms.
8. Add the beetroot to the syrup while hot, then set aside to cool.
9. Mix together the crème fraîche and wholegrain mustard and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
10. Top each salmon fishcake with a dollop of the mustard crème fraîche and serve with the beetroot salad, garnished with frisse and lollo rosso leaves tossed with vinaigrette.
Rate This Recipe