- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 450 g potatoes, cooked
- black pepper
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- 30 g butter
For the hollandaise sauce with fresh spinach:
- 2 egg yolks
- 150 g butter, diced
- juice of 1 lemons
- a handful of fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 rashers bacon
1. Mash the potatoes to a smooth consistency, season with salt and pepper.
2. Add the flour and milk.
3. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and shape into potato cakes about 2.5cm thick.
4. Melt the butter in a hot frying pan and then add the cakes, cook until golden. Turn the heat on the pan down to medium and leave for 4-5 minutes.
5. In the meantime, put the egg yolks in a saucepan on low heat. Add the diced butter one knob at a time, whisking all the time.
6. When all the butter has melted you should have a thick creamy consistency, then add the lemon juice and chopped fresh spinach.
7. Bring a small saucepan of salted water to the boil, reduce the heat and swirl the water. While the water is swirling crack the egg and drop the egg keeping your fingers as close to the water as possible. Leave to cook for 3-4 minutes. Lift out gently on a slotted spoon and drain thoroughly.
8. Finally fry the lardons over a high heat until crisp.
9. Serve the potato cakes topped with a poached egg, some hollandaise sauce and a scattering of bacon lardons.
Rate This Recipe