- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 eggs
- 500 g floury potatoes, such as Cara, Golden Wonder, King Edward, Maris Piper or Pentland Crown
- 175 ml milk
- 45 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 115 g grated parmesan
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 150 g mozzarella, chopped
- 150 g salami picante, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Put the eggs in a saucepan of salted water and cook for about 6 minutes or until hard-boiled. Drain and allow to cool, then peel.
3. Put the unpeeled potatoes into a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until cooked.
4. Drain, and leave until cool enough to handle, then peel while still warm.
5. Mash the potatoes or, better still, put them through a food mill or potato ricer.
6. Heat the milk in a small saucepan until small bubbles appear around the edge, but do not boil. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the milk into the mashed potato, beating it in thoroughly.
7. Beat in the butter and cheese.
8. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold them into the potato mixture.
9. Butter the inside of an ovenproof dish, such as a soufflé dish. Sprinkle half the breadcrumbs over the inside of the dish.
10. Spoon half the potato mixture into the dish. Arrange the cheese and salami on top, like the filling for a cake.
11. Slice the hard boiled eggs and scatter them over the cheese and salami.
12. Spoon the rest of the potato mixture on top. Sprinkle with the remaining breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until golden and crunchy on top.
Rate This Recipe