- Serves: As many as desired
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes plus 20 mins cooling time
- Effort: easy
- Desirée potatoes, peeled
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
1. Cut the potatoes into wide chips, similar to the thick-cut chips known in Paris as pommes Pont-Neuf.
2. Put the chips into a saucepan of salted water, bring to the boil and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until they are three-quarters cooked.
3. Drain the potatoes and plunge them straight into cold water to cool them down. Remove them from the water and drain on kitchen towel.
4. Put the chips in the fridge until cold.
5. Heat vegetable oil to 140C and deep fry the chips for 2 minutes, until lightly coloured. Remove from the oil and drain.
6. Increase the heat to 180C, then deep fry the chips for the second time until really well coloured.
7. Add a little salt and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe