- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 800 g potatoes
- 50 g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp thyme, plus extra to garnish
- 500 ml chicken stock
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas 4 and grease a 1.5-litre gratin dish with butter. Thinly slice the potatoes, using a mandolin if you have one.
2. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until soft. Stir in the thyme and remove from the heat.
3. Spread one-third of the potatoes in the based of the gratin dish. Top with one-third of the onions and season, keeping in mind that the stock will add salt. Repeat twice with the remaining potato and onion, then pour over the stock.
4. Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 1 hour, then remove the foil and bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with extra thyme leaves before serving.
Rate This Recipe