- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 50 g butter
- 500 g waxy potatoes, thinly sliced
- grated nutmeg
- 300 ml milk
- 300 ml double cream
- grated gruyère cheese, for sprinkling (optional)
Tips and Suggestions
This recipe can easily be doubled to serve more people.
1. Set the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Rub the cut sides of the garlic all over the insides of an ovenproof dish, then grease the dish with butter.
2. Put a layer of potatoes in the bottom of the dish. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and grated nutmeg. Add another layer of potato, season again and press down on the potatoes (the dauphinoise should be dense). Continue building up the layers until you reach the top of the dish, patting down each time.
3. Mix the milk and cream together and pour over the potatoes, making sure the liquid just covers the surface. Sprinkle the top with cheese, if liked.
4. Bake for 2 hours. Serve when the potatoes have softened and turned golden brown on top, while the cream is still bubbling.
Rate This Recipe