- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: easy
- 1 heads garlic
- 50 g butter
- 2 light olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 large potato, finely diced
- 750 ml vegetable stock or milk
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 75 g rocket, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Using a sharp knife, cut the very top off the garlic bulb (this will make it easier to get the roasted cloves out).
2. Place the garlic in the oven and cook for 45 minutes, until the cloves are lovely and soft. Remove the garlic bulb and leave until cool enough to handle. Squeeze out the soft cloves
3. Melt the butter and olive oil together in a large saucepan.
4. Add the onion and leek and cook for 2-3 minutes, until just beginning to soften.
5. Add the potato and stir thoroughly to ensure the potatoes are well coated in the butter. Cover the pan and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Pour in the milk or stock, bring the soup to the boil, then cover and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10-12 minutes.
7. Season the soup with plenty of salt and pepper and stir in the lemon juice and roasted garlic.
8. Blend in batches using a liquidiser or hand-held blender. Reserve a few rocket leaves to garnish the soup and add the remaining leaves to each batch of soup as you liquidise it.
9. Pour the soup warmed bowls and drizzle over some olive oil. Add a twist of black pepper and garnish with the reserved rocket leaves. Serve with warm crusty bread.
Rate This Recipe