- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus freezing and 1 week standing
- Effort: easy
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled
- 250 g cooked beetroot
- 1 large apple
- 2 large gherkins, pickled with dill
- 1 rollmop herrings
- 3 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
- 1 sprig dill
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp mustard, hot
- 200 ml soured cream
- 100 ml clarified butter
- 4 herrings, fresh and gutted
- 3 tbsp rye flour, for coating
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
For the cranberry vodka
- 250 g cranberries
- 350 ml vodka
1. First prepare the cranberry vodka. Place the cranberries on a tray and freeze overnight while placing the bottled vodka in a warm place, such as an airing cupboard, overnight.
2. Add the frozen cranberries to the vodka in the bottle, seal and leave in a warm place for 1 week.
3. Strain the vodka, discarding the cranberries, and bottle and store in the freezer until serving.
4. Boil the potatoes in a large pan of salted water until tender. Drain, then cut into 2.5cm cubes.
5. Dice the cooked beets, apple, gherkins and roll-mop herring and mix with the freshly boiled cubed potatoes.
6. Chop the hard boiled eggs and dill and add to the potato mixture, seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Mix in the oil, vinegar and water. Allow to cool completely. Just before serving, mix the mustard with the soured cream and mix into the potato salad.
8. Heat a frying pan on a hob, add the clarified butter and heat through.
9. Season the herrings with salt and freshly ground pepper, coat in rye flour and fry in the pan for a few minutes on both sides.
10. Serve the freshly fried herrings with potato salad and a squeeze of lemon juice, accompanied with a shot of cranberry vodka.
Rate This Recipe