- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg floury potatoes, (such as King Edward), peeled and chopped
- 250 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- butter, to serve
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the potatoes and boil for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and mash. Add the flour, olive oil, salt and pepper to the mashed potatoes and bind everything together thoroughly. The amount of flour you need will vary depending on the moistness of the potatoes, but make sure there is no stickiness to the mixture once everything is combined.
2. Roll out half the dough on a lightly floured surface to a circle about 5 mm thick and prick all over with a fork. Heat a little olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Carefully place the whole potato scone round in the pan, then cut it into quarters using a blunt knife. Cook the scones until they are golden brown underneath, then flip them over and cook the other sides.
3. Put the scones on a warmed plate and serve piping hot with lashings of butter. Repeat with the other half of the dough to make a total of eight potato scones.
Rate This Recipe