- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 2 hrs rising
- Effort: medium
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 340 ml warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 420 g strong flour, plus extra for dusting
- 75 g masa harina, (maize flour)
- ½ tsp salt
- 500 g new potatoes
- 1 ball mozzarella, torn
- 60 g freshly grated pecorino or mature cheddar
- 2 tbsp thyme, leaves only
- 1 small ripe avocado, sliced
- rocket, to serve
For the oil
- handfuls chilli de arbol
- 2 cloves garlic
- dashes of sherry vinegar
- 200 ml olive oil
1. Activate the yeast by mixing it with a quarter of the warm water, and half the sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Stir the flour, masa harina, salt, olive oil, and the remaining sugar in a large mixing bowl until combined.
3. When the yeast has become active (it will appear foamy), add it to the flour along with the remaining water and mix well.
4. On a floured surface, knead the dough for 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
5. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and set aside to rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
6. While the bread rises, cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle, then slice into rounds.
7. Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and punch it down with your hands to knock out the air.
8. Place back in the bowl and allow to rise for a further hour (long, slow rises give a more complex flavour to the bread).
9. For the oil: while the dough rises, make the oil. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
10. Arrange the chillies and garlic on a baking tray and roast for 5-10 minutes, until fragrant. Place the chillies and garlic in a blender with the vinegar and olive oil and blend until smooth.
11. Repeat step 7 for the dough, then roll the dough out to make a large circle or rectangle depending on the size of your cooking pan (or smaller ones if you want individual little pizzas).
12. Heat a large frying pan or a flat griddle pan big enough to hold the dough until very hot. Place the dough in the pan and sprinkle with a few drops of water. Once the pizza is slightly crisp on the bottom turn it over. Spread a layer of potato slices, torn mozzarella and pecorino over the top and sprinkle with thyme leaves.
13. When the outer side of the bread is crisp and the cheese has melted, slide the pizza onto a plate and slice into pieces. Top with the avocado and a drizzle of the chilli oil. Serve with rocket leaves.
Rate This Recipe