- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- ½ Savoy cabbage, cored and finely sliced
- 200 g rashers of streaky bacon, cut into 1cm pieces
- 25 g butter
- 700 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 5mm slices
- black pepper
- 200 g goats' cheese, rated
1. Set the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cook the cabbage in boiling, salted water for 2 minutes. Refresh in cold water and dry thoroughly.
2. Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and gently fry the bacon until it is just starting to brown. Remove the bacon from the fat.
3. Reserve the fat, and toss the bacon with the cabbage.
4. Rinse and dry the potato slices. Season them lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss them in the bacon fat.
5. Arrange a layer of potatoes on the bottom of a circular, non-stick baking dish, and sprinkle lightly with some of the goats' cheese. Top this with a layer of cabbage and bacon, and again sprinkle lightly with cheese. Continue building the torte in this fashion, until all the ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of potatoes and cheese. It is important that you sprinkle each layer with cheese, as this helps to hold the torte together.
6. Cover with a piece of greaseproof paper and bake for 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pricked with the point of a knife.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to cool to room temperature. Remove the greaseproof paper, and turn the torte out onto a cutting board. Carefully cut into 8 portions and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe