- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 15 mins draining
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- olive oil, for frying
- 6 eggs
1. Halve the potatoes lengthways then slice evenly into quarter cm-thick slices.
2. Place the potato slices in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 15 minutes to drain out excess moisture. Pat the potato slices dry.
3. In a deep-sided, heavy-based medium frying pan pour in enough olive oil to come in halfway up the sides of the pan.
4. Heat the olive oil until very hot. Add the potatoes and reduce the heat to medium.
5. Fry the potatoes for 15 minutes, then add the onion. Continue cooking for a further 10 minutes, until the potato has softened.
6. Drain the potato mixture, reserving the olive oil.
7. Beat the eggs together in a large bowl and season with a pinch of salt. Add the fried potato mixture, mixing thoroughly.
8. Pour enough of the reserved olive oil into the medium frying pan to cover the base and heat through.
9. Pour in the egg and potato mixture, reduce the heat and fry gently until the base of the tortilla has set.
10. Now, covering the frying pan with a plate or lid, invert the tortilla over onto the plate or lid, then slide the inverted tortilla back into the frying pan.
11. Increase the heat and fry the tortilla for 1-2 minutes to seal it. Transfer the tortilla onto a serving plate and serve either warm or at room temperature.
Rate This Recipe