- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 450 g minced pork
- 1 medium leek, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, leaves only
- 1 tbsp lemon balm, finely chopped
- small handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cream sherry
- black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 225 g unsmoked streaky bacon, rind removed
- 2 pigeon breasts, skinned and cut into half lengthways
- 50 g blackberries
- warm bread or toast
- green salad
1. Set the oven to 170°C/gas 3. In a large bowl, mix together the pork, leek, garlic, thyme, lemon balm, parsley and sherry. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add a grating of fresh nutmeg.
2. Stretch the bacon with the back of a knife and use it to line the ceramic dish, making sure to leave some bacon hanging over the edge. Spread half the pork mixture evenly across the bottom. Put one piece of the pigeon breast on top and then lay the blackberries on top of it.
3. Place the remaining piece of pigeon breast over the blackberries and season with some more salt and pepper. Top with the remainder of the pork. Press down firmly, making sure it is all tightly packed and then fold the bacon over the top and tuck in.
4. Cover the pot with some greaseproof paper then some foil and stand in a roasting tin. Fill the roasting tin half way up with some hot water and place in the oven for 1 hour, until hot in the centre and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. To serve, scoop the potted pigeon directly out of the ceramic pot with a spoon and accompany with warm bread or toast and mixed green salad.
Rate This Recipe