- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
- olive oil or clarified butter
- 4 poussins
- black pepper
- a sprig of thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 ltr chicken stock
- 1 tsp honey
- 125 ml white wine
- 250 ml double cream
- lemon juice, to taste
- 4 small, barely ripe bananas
- 4 thin slices of smoked air-dried ham, (ideally Blackforest)
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- butter, for shallow-frying
- bunch of watercress
For the sweetcorn fritters:
- 115 g plain flour
- pinch of ground mace
- good pinch of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 100 ml milk
- 85 g sweetcorn
- clarified butter, (ghee)
- a little pomace oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
2. Heat a large, heavy-based frying pan and add a little olive oil or clarified butter, allowing it to heat through.
3. Cut off the poussin legs and add these, and the breasts, to the pan. Fry until browned on all sides. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and add the thyme and garlic.
4. Transfer the poussin, thyme and garlic to a roasting dish. Roast for around 25 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, bring 400ml of chicken stock to the boil with a the honey. Cook briskly until thickened to glazing consistency.
6. In a separate saucepan, heat together the remaining stock with the white wine and cook briskly until reduced by half.
7. Add the cream and cook until slightly reduced and thickened. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and add lemon juice to taste.
8. Meanwhile, peel the bananas and wrap each banana in a slice of ham, rolling the ham tightly over the banana.
9. Heat a little vegetable oil and butter in a large frying pan. Add the bananas and brown quickly on all sides. Remove from the pan and keep warm until serving.
10. Make the sweetcorn fritters. Sift the flour, mace, baking powder, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.
11. Break in the egg and add 75ml of the milk. Whisk together thoroughly to form a smooth batter.
12. Whisk in the remaining milk and stir in the sweetcorn.
13. Heat a little clarified butter and pomace oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add separate tablespoons of the sweetcorn mixture to form the fritters. Fry in batches until the surface looks silky, then turn and fry for 2-3 minutes to brown the other side. Remove and keep warm until serving.
14. Carve the poussin breasts and place these, with the legs, in the pan with the honey glaze, coating them thoroughly.
15. Divide the sweetcorn fritters among four warm serving plates. Slice the fried bananas and place, together with the glazed poussin portions, on top of the fritters. Garnish with watercress, pour around the cream sauce and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe