- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 2 hrs to overnight marinating
- Effort: easy
- 4 poussins
- black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 bunches thyme, bruised
- 3 unwaxed lemons, alved
- 150 ml white wine
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for roasting
- 2 large Spanish onions, sliced
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 450 g risotto rice
- 1 litres chicken stock
1. Place the poussins in a large bowl and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Rub over the garlic, sprinkle over the bay and thyme, squeeze over the lemon juice and add the squeezed lemon halves.
3. Pour in the white wine and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Gas 6.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a paella pan or large heavy roasting tin. Gently fry the onions until softened. Add the turmeric and gently fry for 30 seconds. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute.
6. Meanwhile heat through the chicken stock in a saucepan.
7. Place the poussins, breast side down, on top of the rice and pour over the marinade juices and 300ml of hot stock.
8. Bring the contents of the paella pan to the boil and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
9. After 25 minutes turn the poussin over and add the remaining stock. Brush the poussins with a little extra olive oil.
10. Return to the oven uncovered and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the poussin and rice are cooked, adding a little extra chicken stock if needed.
Rate This Recipe