- Serves: 2 as a main course, 4 as a starter
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the Vietnamese dipping sauce/dressing
- 2 clove garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 bird's eye chillies, or other red chillies, finely sliced
- 4 cm ginger, fresh, finely minced
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice, (about 1 lime)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
For the salad
- 250 g rice, Nanking black rice
- 500 g prawns, raw and peeled
- 1 pinches salt
- 0.5 lemons, juice only
Tips and Suggestions
You could have the rice hot, the hot prawns, too, just stirred through with the cold dipping sauce-turned-dressing; you could forgo the fish part and turn this vegetarian by adding some soft, jade chunks of avocado to the cold black rice and chilli-speckled dressing.
1. To make the sauce, simply mix all the ingredients together. It doesn't get much less complicated than that, frankly.
2. Well, there is the small matter of the rice and prawns. The rice you just cook by following the instructions on the packet.
3. The prawns you poach in some simmering salted water, to which you've added the juice of half a lemon, for 5 minutes or so or until just cooked through but still very tender.
4. Let both rice and prawns cool, then give the sauce a quick stir and spoon some over the rice, fork this through and then tumble the prawns on top, spooning a little more sauce over as you go.
Rate This Recipe