- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus defrosting if necessary
- Effort: easy
- 320g frozen green uncooked prawns, shelled and deveined to give 185g-200g raw prawn meat
- 2 small spring onions, chopped
- 1 fresh red chillies, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp cornflour
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1-2 tsp fish sauce
- vegetable oil spray
- 4 stalks of lemongrass
1. Place the prawn meat in a food processor with the chopped spring onions, chilli and garlic. Add the cornflour and several grinds of black pepper. Pulse to a paste, adding the fish sauce and lime juice gradually, and adding only just enough liquid that the prawn mixture forms into a ball rather like a wet pastry. Remove the blade from the machine and knead the mixture a little in the bowl using your hands to bring it together.
2. Divide the prawn mixture into four balls. Shape each ball around the base of a lemongrass stalk.
3. Heat a ridged griddle or frying pan and spray with vegetable oil. When you can see a light haze rising from the pan, add the satay sticks and cook over a moderate heat, turning occasionally, until the prawn mixture is browned on each side. Alternatively, cook under an overhead grill or on a barbecue. Serve hot, with a sweet chilli dipping sauce if desired.
Rate This Recipe