- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 850 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 80 g butter
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 300 g arborio rice
- 100 ml dry vermouth
- 300 g raw king prawns, shells removed
- 100 g frozen peas, defrosted
- 50 g freshly grated parmesan
- salt and black pepper
Tips and Suggestions
Look out for reduced-salt varieties of stock or make your own, instead of using cubes or granules. For more information on healthier eating see eatwell.gov.uk.
1. Pour the chicken stock into a small saucepan and bring to a very gentle simmer.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pan with a small knob of the butter. Tip in the onions and garlic and fry gently for about 10 minutes or until softened and translucent.
3. Stir in the rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring well to ensure the rice is coated in the oil.
4. Pour in the vermouth and stir until all the liquid is absorbed by the rice.
5. Add a ladleful of the simmering stock and stir until it has been absorbed by the rice. Continue adding the stock, stirring in a ladleful at a time, for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked al dente (you may not need all the stock, or you may need a little extra).
6. Stir in the prawns and cook for 3 minutes then stir in the remaining butter, parmesan cheese and peas. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper and cook gently for a minute or so until the peas are cooked.
7. Serve in warm serving bowls.
Rate This Recipe