- Serves: Serves 4 as a starter
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the relish
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce, (nam pla)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
For the prawn cakes
- 115 g green beans, trimmed
- 900 g large raw prawns, peeled and de-veined, half roughly chopped, half kept whole
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Thai fish sauce, (nam pla)
- 3-4 tbsp grapeseed oil, corn or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 fresh green chilli, seeds removed, flesh finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 4 sprigs coriander, to garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
1. For the relish: in a bowl whisk together the rice vinegar, lime juice, caster sugar, garlic and fish sauce until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the cucumber, mint and coriander and set aside.
2. For the prawn cakes: bring a small pan of water to the boil and blanch the green beans for 2 minutes then drain. Chop into 1 centimetre pieces and set aside.
3. Tip the chopped prawns into a food processor and blend to a rough paste. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and mix in the green beans, rice flour, egg, red curry paste, spring onions and fish sauce.
4. Take tablespoonfuls of the mixture and, with wet hands, shape the mixture into small round patties, about 1 centimetre thick. Transfer to a sheet of greaseproof paper.
5. Pour the oil into a large frying pan over a medium heat then fry the prawn cakes for 2 minutes on each side, or until crisp and golden brown (you may need to fry them in batches). Remove from the pan and keep warm.
6. Add the remaining whole prawns to the pan with the chilli and garlic and fry for 1 minute on each side or until pink.
7. Transfer the prawn cakes to serving plates, top with the garlic prawns and cucumber relish, garnish with coriander and lime wedges and serve.
Rate This Recipe