- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 850 ml fish, shellfish, chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 large ears sweetcorn, about 16cm long, husks and strings removed
- 6 spring onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
- 300 g risotto rice
- 120 ml dry sherry, or 150ml white wine such as oaked chardonnay
- 350 g cooked prawns, shells removed
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander
1. Place the stock in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, cut the kernels from the sweetcorn. Place them in a bowl with any creamy juices they give out, and break up any clusters with your fingers. Set aside. Chop the spring onions, keeping the white and green parts separate.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium-large saucepan. Add the white parts of the spring onions and the garlic and fry over a medium-low heat until the spring onions are soft.
3. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until the rice is glistening and starting to become translucent. Pour the sherry or wine into the pan and allow it to simmer away until the mixture is fairly dry, stirring often.
4. Note the time on the clock. Add a ladle of hot stock from the small saucepan and cook, stirring often, until most of it has evaporated. Repeat with another ladle or two of stock, allowing the rice mixture to simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, and stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Continue until the rice has been cooking for about 15 minutes. You may not need all the stock.
5. Add the sweetcorn, prawns and most of the green parts of the spring onions to the rice mixture and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for another 3-5 minutes until the rice is fairly dry yet tender, and the corn and prawns are hot.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in most of the fresh herbs. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Transfer the mixture to warm serving bowls. Garnish with the reserved spring onions and herb leaves, plus an extra sprinkling of black pepper. Serve hot.
Rate This Recipe