- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus overnight infusing
- Effort: medium
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 250 ml iced water
- 1 cold egg white, beaten
- 100 g chilled tempura flour
- pinch baking powder
- 12 raw prawns, peeled and de-veined, but tails on
- 150 g squid
- 12 baby spring onions
For the ponzu dipping sauce
- 50 ml mirin
- 50 ml yuzu juice, (or lemon and lime juice)
- 75 ml soy sauce
- 25 ml rice vinegar, or Mirin
- handful bonito flakes
- 1 x 5 cm square dried kombu
- 2 tbsp grated daikon radish
- 2 tsp very finely grated ginger
1. Make the ponzu dipping sauce first: mix all the ingredients together and leave to infuse overnight. Drain well and keep in an airtight jar.
2. For the tempura: heat the oil to 170C either in a deep-fat fryer or a wok.
3. Mix the water with the egg white ensuring that all the ingredients are as cold as possible. Using a chopstick or a fork, very roughly mix the flour and baking powder into the wet ingredients keeping it quite lumpy.
4. Dip the prawns very quickly in the batter and then into the hot oil. Cook for about 2 minutes turning occasionally. Drain well on kitchen paper and keep warm while you cook the squid in the same way. The squid will take about the same time. Finally dip and cook the spring onions for about 1 minute.
5. To serve: divide the prawns, squid and spring onions between 4 plates. Place a pile of grated daikon and ginger on each and serve with a small bowl of dipping sauce.
Rate This Recipe