- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 50 g cornflour
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- sparkling water
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 12 tiger prawns, peeled, with tails on
- mayonnaise, to serve
1. Make the batter by mixing the cornflour, self-raising flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl with enough sparkling mineral water to make a runny, lumpy batter.
2. Meanwhile, in a thick-based saucepan or wok, heat the vegetable oil (which should be no higher than a third of the way up the side of the saucepan) to 160C.
3. Take a prawn and dip it into the batter mixture before dropping it into the heated oil. Fry until golden brown. Continue cooking several at a time until all the prawns are cooked.
4. When each prawn is cooked carefully remove it from the hot oil using a slotted spoon and drain on some kitchen paper.
5. Serve on a plate with a ramekin of mayonnaise.
Rate This Recipe