- Serves: 4 as a starter
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes plus 1-2 hrs for marinating
- Effort: easy
- 500 g prawns, peeled and de-veined
- 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 10 dried chillies, de-seeded and chopped
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 curry leaves
- 1 tsp tamarind pulp, mixed with 2 tbsp water
- cucumber, sliced
- tomatoes, sliced
- coriander leaves
- spring onions, shredded
1. Marinate the prawns in the chilli powder, turmeric and salt for 1-2 hours.
2. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over a medium heat. When it's hot add the dried chillies, stir for a few seconds then tip them out of the pan into a bowl and set aside.
3. Return the pan to the heat and add the shallots, garlic, and curry leaves. Cook them, stirring, until golden-brown. Then add the marinated prawns and stir fry for up to 5 minutes or until cooked.
4. Pour in the tamarind juice and continue to fry until the liquid has evaporated. Add the fried dried chilli back to the pan and mix all the ingredients well.
5. Serve the prawns wrapped in flatbread with cucumber, tomatoes, coriander leaves and shredded spring onion.
Rate This Recipe