- Serves: Makes 7 preserved lemons
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus marinating
- Effort: easy
- 7 unwaxed lemons, well-washed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 115 g rock salt
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
Tips and Suggestions
Now that you've made your preserved lemons, try them in a chicken tagine from the Hairy Bikers.
1. Place the lemons in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook briskly until the lemons are tender, around 10-15 minutes.
2. Turn off the heat and leave the lemons to soak in their cooking water for 4 hours.
3. Drain the lemons and cut a deep cross on each lemon, making sure you don't totally cut through the lemons.
4. In a pestle and mortar grind together the cumin and peppercorns. Mix with the rock salt.
5. Sprinkle salt generously over the lemons making sure that the salt penetrates inside the lemons.
6. Place the lemons inside a sterilised jar and add the remaining spiced salt. Sprinkle with the paprika and seal the jar tightly.
Rate This Recipe