- Serves: 2
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1 hr pressing time
- Effort: easy
- 1 medium ciabatta bread
- 1 clove garlic, halved lengthwise
- 1 vine tomato, chopped
- 10 fine black olives, stoned
- 2 tsp capers, in vinegar, drained
- 5-6 sun-dried tomatoes, in oil, drained and roughly chopped
- 8-10 basil
- 8-10 sprigs flat leaf parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper
1. Slice the ciabatta in half lengthways. Rub the halved garlic clove all over the surface of the bread.
2. Place the tomato, olives, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, parsley, olive oil and vinegar in a food processor or a mortar and pulse or pound until blended to a coarse paste. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Spread the paste evenly over one half of the ciabatta and top with the remaining half.
4. Place the sandwich in a large plastic bag and roll the bag around the sandwich. Top the sandwich with a chopping board and weigh down with a heavy object such as a bag of sugar or a container of water.
5. Leave the sandwich to squash flat for an hour before packing for your picnic. Slice in halves, quarters or slices when serving.
Rate This Recipe