- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the roast tomatoes
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved
- olive oil, to drizzle
For the anchovy toasts
- 12 anchovy fillets
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 8 very thin slices French country-style bread
For the provencal beans
- 500 g fine French beans, topped and tailed
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finley chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- splashes white wine vinegar
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. For the roast tomatoes: preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2. Sit the halved tomatoes in a roasting tray cut-side up, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle over some olive oil. Roast for 45 minutes, or until the tomatoes are very tender and golden-brown around the edges.
2. For the anchovy toasts: mash the anchovies and butter together in a small bowl until smooth. Spread over half of the bread and top with the remaining slices. Toast in a sandwich maker or electric grill until golden-brown on both sides. Cut into fingers.
3. For the provencal beans: cook the beans in a pan of boiling water for 4-5 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and refresh in cold water, then dry on kitchen paper.
4. Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan and cook the shallots and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until softened but not coloured. Add the beans and heat through for 1 minute. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then stir in the vinegar and check the seasoning again. Sprinkle with parsley.
5. To serve, put the beans in a small dish and place on a serving platter. Sit the roast tomatoes on one side of the plate and arrange the anchovy soldiers alongside.
Rate This Recipe