- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
For the meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 250 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp Camp chicory & coffee essence
- 250 g sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tub vanilla ice cream
For the butterscotch sauce
- 125 g caster sugar
- 125 g butter
- 125 ml double cream
Tips and Suggestions
the butterscotch sauce will keep in a jar in the fridge for about 6 weeks... if you can keep it there that long!
1. For the meringue: preheat the oven to 100C/gas ¼.
2. Whisk the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks. Add the caster sugar gradually, whisking until the mixture is thick and glossy. Gently fold in Camp chicory essence - this gives the meringues a lovely pale brown colour.
3. Spoon dollops of the meringue mixture out onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake in the oven for 2 hours.
4. For the puff candy ice cream: melt the sugar and golden syrup together in a small pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add bicarbonate of soda. It will bubble up - so stand back!
5. Pour into a buttered tray and leave to cool. When set, chop into rough pieces. Fold the cracked puff candy into softened vanilla ice cream and return to the freezer until ready to serve.
6. For the butterscotch sauce: put the sugar and butter in a pan, bring to the boil and cook until golden brown. Stir in the double cream and heat through.
7. Serve the meringues with a spoonful of the ice cream and lots of warm butterscotch sauce.
Rate This Recipe