- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 6 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 8 hours marinating
- Effort: medium
For the pork
- 200 g sugar
- 200 g salt
- 1 x 2kg pork shoulder, bone in
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 4 tbsp mirin
For the pickles
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bunches breakfast radishes, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced into discs
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 12 fresh oysters, shucked
- 1 bunches spring onions, finely chopped
- 3-4 heads butterhead lettuce, separated into whole leaves
- chilli sauce
1. For the pork: mix the sugar and salt together in a bowl and rub all over the pork shoulder. Place into a container, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 8 hour, preferably overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2.
3. Remove the pork from the fridge and transfer to a baking tray. Mix together the brown sugar, soy sauce, honey and mirin and brush all over the pork. Roast for 6 hours, basting regularly with the pan juices, until the meat pulls easily away from the bone. (If the meat is browning too quickly, cover it loosely with foil.) Remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
4. Strain the pan juices into a pan and simmer over a medium low heat until the liquid has reduced to a thick and syrupy consistency. Spoon the reduced cooking liquid over the pork to glaze, then shred the pork into thick pieces with a fork.
5. For the pickles: mix the sugar and salt together in a large bowl and add the radish and cucumber. Toss well to coat the vegetables, then add the rice vinegar. Set aside for 10 minutes. Taste the pickles and add more salt or sugar if necessary.
6. To serve, place the oysters on a bed of crushed ice and put the pickles and spring onions into separate bowls for diners to help themselves. To eat, take a lettuce leaf and fill with a selection of pork, pickles, spring onions and chilli sauce.
Rate This Recipe