- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus cooling plus churning
- Effort: medium
- 2 eggs, and 2 egg yolks
- 75 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 250 ml milk
- 250 ml double cream
- 75 g pumpernickel, grated into crumbs
1. Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until thick and creamy.
2. Heat the milk and cream in a heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil. Whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly as you add in it.
3. Strain back into a clean heavy-based saucepan and cook gently, stirring, over a low heat until it thickens into a custard. Strain and pour back into the bowl to cool.
4. Stir the pumpernickel into the cooled custard.
5. Churn in an ice cream maker, following manufacturer's instruction until the mixture thickens into ice cream. Store in a freezerproof container in the freezer.
Rate This Recipe