- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 800 g pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 generous handfuls rainbow, Swiss or ruby chard, stalks and leaves separated
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 300 ml water, or stock
- 12 leaves sage
- 50 g butter
- 100 g spelt flour
- black pepper
- butter or oil, to grease the oven dish
1. Take a wide frying pan and heat the vegetable oil at a medium heat. Fry the pumpkin for approximately two minutes on each side to brown and set aside.
2. In the same pan, toss the chopped red onions and stalks of chard, adding a pinch of salt and the cider vinegar, and cook for 5 minutes until tender.
3. Add the tomatoes and stock and heat for a further 5 minutes. At the last minute, add the chard leaves and stir through to wilt.
4. Grease an oven dish with butter or oil and arrange a layer of pumpkin pieces in it. Scatter half the sage leaves over the pumpkin, cover with the tomato mix and repeat with the remaining pumpkin, sage and tomato mix until the dish is full.
5. In a separate bowl, rub the butter and the flour until you have a crumble texture, season with salt and pepper and scatter a thin layer of this over the top of the oven dish.
6. Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes and serve.
Rate This Recipe