- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 500 g raw pumpkin, peeled and diced
- cream, to serve
For the pastry
- 125 g plain flour
- 75 g pecans, finely chopped
- 50 g butter
- 50 g caster sugar
For the filling
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 g sugar
- pinch each of ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250 ml single cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 75 g pecan halves
1. In a large saucepan, boil the pumpkin until tender.
2. Meanwhile, make the pastry. Place the flour, nuts, butter and 50g of caster sugar into a food processor. Add the egg yolk and whiz until the mixture has formed crumbly dough.
3. Resisting the temptation to knead it any more than you have to, press your dough into a spring form mould. Work it up the sides to make room for the filling.
4. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Drain the cooked pumpkin and puree in a clean food processor.
5. Transfer it to a bowl, and then stir in the sugar. Add the spices and flour. Add the cream and beat until smooth. Stir in the eggs.
6. Fill the pastry case with this mixture and scatter with the pecan halves.
7. Bake for 50 minutes or so, until the pie is set and golden. Serve with plenty of cream.
Rate This Recipe