- Serves: 20
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus marinating
- Effort: medium
For the main:
- 10 g salt
- 2 limes, juice
- 330 ml water
- 180 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 500 g white cornmeal, white cornmeal
For the topping:
- 500 g white cabbage, finely shredded
- 240 g carrots, finely shredded
- 240 ml white wine
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped red or green chillies
1. First prepare the topping. In a large bowl, mix together the cabbage, carrot, vinegar, oregano and chilli. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Set aside to marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
3. To make the dough, place the white cornmeal, salt, lime juice and water in a large bowl.
4. Bring together to form a dough, cover the bowl and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
5. Tear off egg-sized pieces of dough and shape each piece into a ball.
6. Make an indentation in the middle of a dough ball and fill with at least a tablespoon of Cheddar cheese.
7. Repeat this with the remaining dough.
8. Using your hands, flatten each Cheddar-filled dough ball to around a 7.5cm disc.
9. Heat a griddle pan and cook each dough disc for around 3 minutes on each side.
10. Top each griddled cornbread with a spoonful of the marinated topping.
11. Serve at once while warm.
Rate This Recipe