- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the gnocchi
- 500 g purple potatoes, peeled and diced
- 200 g plain flour
- black pepper
For the quick basil and chive pesto
- 1 large bunch basil
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves picked
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 red chilli, halved, seeded and roughly chopped
- small chunk of parmesan
- small bunch chives, snipped with scissors
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
1. First prepare the pesto. Place the basil, rosemary, garlic and chilli in a small food. Blend until finely chopped.
2. Add the Parmesan to the food processor with the chives and olive oil and blend again to form a rough paste. Add salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
3. To make the gnocchi, boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until tender. then drain and mash well. Use a potato ricer if you have one or mash thoroughly to ensure the mash is as smooth as possible.
4. Sprinkle over the flour and season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Using a wooden spoon or your hands, bring the mixture together to make a firm dough.
6. Knead the dough gently for a couple of minutes then roll out into 1cm thick 'sausages'.
7. Cut the sausages in 2.5cm long pieces then indent each piece with your thumb or press over the back of a fork to make grooves.
8. Bring a large pan of salted water to a simmering boil. Carefully add in the gnocchi and cook them gently in the simmering water for 1-2 minutes until they rise to the surface.
9. Scoop out the gnocchi as they rise, using a slotted spoon.
10. Toss the gnocchi with the pesto and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe