- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp spice mix
- 250 g onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 300 g tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground achari spice mix
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/3 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried mango powder
- salt, to taste
- 4 whole quail
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely chopped coriander
- naan breads, to serve
1. Heat the mustard oil in a large heavy-based saucepan, add the whole achari spices and fry until they begin to splutter. Add the onions and stir-fry until they turn golden brown.
2. Add the ginger and garlic puree and fry, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, ground achari spice mix, coriander, turmeric, fenugreek leaves, chilli powder and mango powder, mixing well.
4. Season well and cook, stirring, for 15 minutes. Add the quails and fry until browned on all sides.
5. Then add the tomatoes, all the ground spices, salt and cook, stirring, for 15 minutes. Add the quails and fry until browned all over.
6. Cover the pan and cook on a very low heat for 15 minutes or until the quails are tender. Stir in the lemon juice and fresh coriander.
7. Serve with naan bread.
Rate This Recipe