- Serves: Makes 8-10 slices
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 225 g plain flour
- 225 g caster sugar
- 225 g salted butter, softened
- 1' tsp baking powder
- few drops vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, (at room temperature), lightly beaten
For the rhubarb compote
- 500 g rhubarb, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp water
- 200 g strawberries, hulled and sliced (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp caster sugar
1. For the cake: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and flour a 22cm diameter round cake tin.
2. Tip all the cake ingredients into the bowl of a food mixer (you can also use handheld electric beaters) and mix on high for 1 minute. Scrape the ingredients down the sides of the bowl to ensure they're well incorporated and mix for another minute until light and fluffy.
3. Gently scrape the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 25-30 minutes, until risen and golden and just coming away from the sides of the tin. You can also check by inserting a skewer into the middle of the cake, if it's cooked the skewer will come away clean.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 2-3 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
5. For the rhubarb compote: gently heat the rhubarb and water in a small non-reactive saucepan over a low heat until just simmering. Cover the pan, turn the heat to its lowest setting and leave the rhubarb to steam in its own juices for 10-15 minutes, or until softened.
6. Stir in the strawberries, if using, then tip in enough sugar to sweeten and stir until dissolved. Transfer the compote to a serving bowl and serve alongside the cake.
Rate This Recipe