- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 85 g white breadcrumbs, or brown breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar, or 1 heaped tbsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large lemon, grated zest only
- 600 ml milk
- 60 g lightly salted butter
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp blackcurrants, jelly or jam or raspberry jelly or jam
- 110 g caster sugar
1. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4 and lightly butter a 1.5 litres shallow ovenproof dish.
2. Put the breadcrumbs, vanilla sugar and lemon zest into a bowl.
3. Bring the milk and butter to just below boiling point and stir it into the crumbs. Leave for 10 minutes, and then beat in the egg yolks thoroughly.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, until just firm - the time will depend on he depth of the dish. Remember that the custard will continue to cook a little in its own heat so that if the centre looks runny underneath the skin do not feel anxious.
5. Warm the jelly (if you use jam, warm it and sieve it) and spread it over the custard without breaking the surface.
6. Whisk the whites until stiff, mix in half the caster sugar then whisk again until slightly satiny. With a metal spoon, fold in the rest of the sugar.
7. Pile on to the pudding, sprinkle with the extra teaspoonful of sugar and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes until the meringue is slightly browned and crisp. Serve hot or warm with plenty of cream.
Rate This Recipe