- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 550 ml milk
- 25 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 lemon, grated zest only
- 110 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 60 g sugar, plus 1 tbsp extra for sprinkling
- 6 tbsp raspberry jam
1. Butter a 1.2 litre pie dish. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2. Pour the milk, butter and lemon zest into a saucepan and stir over a medium-high heat until it comes to the boil.
3. Pour the hot mixture over the breadcrumbs and set aside to allow the breadcrumbs to absorb the liquid and swell to a soft, creamy consistency.
4. When the mixture has cooled down, beat in the 2 egg yolks and half of the sugar. Pour the mixture into the greased pie dish and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until set and golden.
5. When the pudding is cooked, remove from the oven and spread the raspberry jam evenly over the top.
6. Tip the 3 egg whites into a clean, dry, grease-free bowl and whisk to stiff-peak stage then pour in the remaining sugar and whisk until smooth and glossy.
7. Gently spoon the egg white in peaks over the pudding to completely cover the jam. Sprinkle with the additional tablespoon of sugar and return to the oven for 10 minutes or until the meringue topping is lightly browned. Serve warm.
Healthy tip: As part of a healthy balanced diet eat this pudding as an occasional treat or in small amounts. For more information on healthier eating see eatwell.gov.uk
Rate This Recipe