- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 100 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- zest of 1 lemons, rated
- 100 g caster sugar
- 275 ml milk
- 150 ml whipping cream
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp raspberry jam
- 100 g fresh raspberries, sieved
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3 and lightly butter an ovenproof dish with a 1litre capacity. In a large bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, lemon zest and 25g of the sugar.
2. Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan, add the butter and gently heat until the butter has melted. Pour over the breadcrumb mixture and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
3. When the mixture has cooled, add the egg yolks and mix well. Spoon into the prepared dish and cook for 30 minutes, until set.
4. Drop small spoonfuls of the jam over the hot surface of the pudding and then repeat with the raspberry puree.
5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and glossy and then fold in the remaining sugar. Spoon this meringue mixture evenly over the pudding.
6. Return to the oven and cook for a further 30 minutes, until the meringue is set and golden brown.
Rate This Recipe