- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hrs soaking
- Effort: medium
- 2 oxtail, cut into pieces
- 1 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 blade of mace
- 4-5 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- bouquet garni
- 900 g seedless white grapes
- black pepper
1. Soak the oxtail pieces in cold water for two hours. Drain and pat dry with paper towel.
2. Preheat the oven to 140°C/gas 1.
3. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based casserole over low heat. Add the bacon, then the onions and carrots, and gently fry for about 5 minutes until softened.
4. Raise the heat a little and add the oxtail pieces. Fry, turning until browned. Add the mace, garlic and bouquet garni. Season with salt and frshly ground black pepper. Leave the oxtail to bubble, stirring now and again.
5. Add the grapes to the pan, cover tightly with a sheet of greaseproof paper and put on the lid.
6. Put in the bottom of the oven and cook for 3 1/2 hours until the meat is very tender.
7. Let the oxtail cool down a bit to skim all the fat off. Take the vegetables and put them through a coarse mouli, along with all the juices. Make sure to take away any bones.
8. Put the moulied vegetables on top of the oxtail so it's totally covered and heat the dish through. Serve.
Rate This Recipe