- Serves: Makes about 700g relish
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g damsons
- 8 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 100 ml water
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice only, or to taste
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 vine tomatoes, peeled, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 fresh ripe figs, chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1. Tip the damsons into a large saucepan, sprinkle over the brown sugar and the water.
2. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the damsons are tender.
3. While the damsons are simmering, mix all of the remaining ingredients together in a bowl. Season with salt and black pepper and mix well.
4. When the damsons are cooked and cool enough to handle, remove the stones. Discard the stones and tip the damsons into the bowl with the other ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Serve warm or cold with hot or cold meats, cold roast chicken or cheeses.
Rate This Recipe